While Sony released some specs for their new system during the press conference, a new press release gives us a better idea of what the system is going to be able to do.
Here are the specs:
- CPU: single-chip custom processor, x86-64 AMD “Jaguar,” 8 cores
- GPU: 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon-based graphics engine
- Memory: 8GB GDDR5
- Built-in hard disk drive (Sony didn’t specify how big the hard drive will be)
- 6X Blu-Ray Drive, 8X DVD
- USB 3 and Auxiliary ports (Sony didn’t specify how many ports)
- Gigabit Ethernet port, 802.11 B/G/N built-in WiFi, and Bluetooth 2.1
- HDMI, Analog-AV, and digital optical outputs
USB 3, 8GB of GDDR5 and a graphics chip that compares to the AMD 7870? This is a lot better than I thought it was going to be. Still, it will be a little while longer until we can see what they do with all this new hardware. What are your thoughts? Will any of you be turning to the PlayStation?